Monday, November 10, 2008

Prophets in the land

"Make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters, in the months and years ahead, events are likely to require each member to decide whether or not he will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions. (See 1 Kgs. 18:21.)

"President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had 'never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional or political life'. This is a hard doctrine, but it is a particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ!"
- Elder Neal A. Maxwell, "A More Determined Discipleship", Ensign, Feb. 1979

I see more and more members of the Church saying things like, "I think it's wrong that we are fighting against gay marriage. I think gay people should be allowed to marry. There's nothing wrong with that." Of those people, I ask, is President Monson the prophet of God, or isn't he? Are you going to follow the prophet or no? As for me, I will follow the man whom I sustained as the prophet and President of the Church, because I asked God if he is truly the man who should be the prophet here and now, and He answered me in the affirmative.

1 comment:

Yakko Warner said...

If you haven't seen this already, Meridian Mag has an article from an LDS member who is an officer in the LAPD. He comments not only on the protests at the LA Temple, but the way we should react to the test of our faith. clicky